Re: copyright holder for PKGSRC/pkgtools/bootstrap-mk-files/files

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 10:21:06AM +0300, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:

> > I cannot find any copyright notices under
>
> >     PKGSRC/pkgtools/bootstrap-mk-files/files
>
> > directory.
> > Does this mean that everything there is public domain?
>
> I'm packaging bmake and mk-files for Debian and want to know
> what is the licence of mk-files. Public domain or 2/3/4 clause BSD?

I think it's a huge leap between "this file has no explicit copyright
asserted", and "this file is in the public domain".

Different files have different origins, and will therefore have
different licenses.  Equally, people may have made substantial (> 50%
of file changed) changes, in which case they may wish to assert their
copyright on the file too.

Regards,
Alistair