Re: How do I discover the default PKG_DBDIR ?

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 06:45:38PM +0100, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> I think it's perfectly natural to want to find out what the database
> directory is.  The difference is that PKG_DBDIR, as opposed to most
> other variables, is a special kind of setting.

Yes, it is. It can easily be overriden by various means, which just
increases the question of why it is desirable to know it. Being able to
backup the pkgdb in its entirely is reasonable and doesn't require
knowledge of the pkgdb internals, which is my concern.

> > pkg_install has no concept of LOCALBASE, PKG_SYSCONFDIR etc.
>
> Yes, see pkg_info -Q varname above.

Those are not variables in the package, not of pkg_install. As in: no
part of pkg_install sets them nor cares about the presense or value.

Joerg