Re: "already installed" and other problems

At Mon, 23 Mar 2009 20:51:06 +0000 (UTC), John Klos
<john%ziaspace.com@localhost> wrote:
Subject: "already installed" and other problems

> A number of observed pkgsrc problems, in summary:
>
> (1) when doing a "make update", the package being updated should NOT be
> deleted before the compile stage. Please explain to me why you disagree,
> if you do.

Perhaps, but....  :-)

> (2) when doing a "make update" on a package which might be the
> prerequisite for tons of other packages (for example, perl), there are
> consistently problems with the process stopping with "already installed"
> errors even though there are definitely no stale work directories.
>
> This problem is tremendously burdensome on busy systems which you can't
> exactly stop and which are heavily used.

Well, I think the real solution to both these problems, as well as all
the operational concerns, is to _never_ do builds on production systems.

Always build binary packages on a build system and use those binary
packages to upgrade your production systems.

I've still not achieved a clean update of a production system from
binary packages with pkg_chk, but it's closer to working right.

Besides, it's not much harder, and it is still much cleaner, to just
wipe /usr/pkg and start with a fresh re-install of all binary packages
from the build machine (assuming you either preserve /usr/pkg/etc or it
is a symlink pointing to /etc, since not every package has been
correctly updated to fully and 100% honour PKG_SYSCONFDIR).

--
                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.

<woods%planix.com@localhost>       +1 416 216-0099        http://www.planix.com/