Re: "already installed" and other problems

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 08:51:06PM +0000, John Klos wrote:
> (1) when doing a "make update", the package being updated should NOT be
> deleted before the compile stage. Please explain to me why you disagree,
> if you do.

I always do 'make && make update'. If you don't, various bad things
can happen. (I particularly dislike how it removes the existing
package before checking for vulnerabilities.)

> (2) when doing a "make update" on a package which might be the
> prerequisite for tons of other packages (for example, perl), there are
> consistently problems with the process stopping with "already installed"
> errors even though there are definitely no stale work directories.

FWIW, I've never seen this.

But I haven't done a "make update" in lang/perl5 in a while, because
the transitive depends include such small and quickly recompiled
packages as gimp and ghc; therefore if there's a recent problem
particular to something perl-related I wouldn't have seen it.

Although, hmm... are you doing a parallel build? I suspect the update
framework may not really support that.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost