Re: SCTP, DCCP and MobileIP

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 02:43:17PM -0400, Mouse wrote:
> >> Data point: I'm on a gig right now that's using SCTP on Linux.  They
> >> say they'd like to run on BSD as well, but that's pretty much a
> >> nonstarter without SCTP.
> > Whether the KAME sctp code works well enough to be usefulis another
> > matter entirely.
>
> True enough.  I was considering implementing SCTP myself when I saw the
> post about possibly bringing in the KAME code; I don't know whether
> this gig would use Free or would use Net -current or would let the BSD
> plans slide or what.  (I might backport the SCTP code for my own use,
> but that'd be a separate thing in any case - what I use and what this
> work gig uses are pretty much orthogonal.)

Porting the code from freebsd to netbsd might be an option.
The freebsd versio probably has some of the worse bugs in the
original kame code fixed.

sctp isn't really that nice a protocol. It is over complex (so large
and slow) and doesn't really meet the original requirements of giving
a 'service level' similar to MTP2.
Although probably the most common use is m3ua - which actually
takes the mtp3 service interface (ie that to isup/sccp) over the IP
network.

You'd probably get better throughput by using multiple TCP connections
and relying on the application level retries to recover from packets
that are lost when a connection fails.

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost