Re: SCTP, DCCP and MobileIP

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 03:45:47PM +0000, Robert Swindells wrote:
> I have been doing some work on taking the remaining network protocols
> that were developed by the Kame Project and trying to get them to work
> on NetBSD-current.
*snip snip*
> Comments and suggestions on when to think about putting it in the tree
> would be good.

I have a few concerns about adding this to the kernel.

Code previously brought into NetBSD from KAME, or proposed to be brought
in, has been poorly encapsulated.  Functions whose code could/should
have been isolated to a few new .c/.h files instead erupted in #ifdefs
all over the IPv4/IPv6 sources.  This makes the networking code a real
bear to work with.  Is this an eruption or not?

What does configuring this stuff with route(8)/ifconfig(8) look like?
It should be easy to create an actual typescript and annotate it, or
else to simulate a typescript.  I find that a typescript can reveal the
flaws in some software quickly compared with poring over patches.

How does the real-world applicability of these protocols rate compared
with other urgent networking needs like an SMP network stack?  I'm wary
of adding features for the sake of checking boxes in a features matrix
when I perceive a lot of architectural deficiencies.

Dave

--
David Young
dyoung%pobox.com@localhost    Urbana, IL    (217) 721-9981