Re: IPv6 and ND on tap(4)

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 09:20:06AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Is the prefix you are using on the tap different than the one on your
> real interface?

Yes.  hme0 has 2001:608:8003::/64, tap0 has 2001:608:4:a051::/64.

Nowhere close.

> ip6mode=autohost is supposed to, more or less, configure a system to
>   accept router advertisements
>   send router solicitations

... which should be fairly harmless, and "a fairly typical thing for a
workstation".

> I think there's a general notion in the specs that an autoconfigured
> host is only allowed to have one interface.

Which is fine from the point of view "it shouldn't be acting as a router",
but for the generic VPN case, this is too strict.

(Of course, "a *proper* VPN would be IPSEC", and anything else is an
abomination in the first place - but that doesn't really solve
real-world problems either)

Interesting enough, this doesn't pose a problem for OpenVPN "tun" usage,
and most likely not for other ppp-based VPNs (pptp/l2tp) either as there's
no ND involved anyway...

> But the kernel behavior seems bad.
>
> You can probably look at the code:
> ~/NetBSD-current/src/sys > egrep accept_rtadv */*.c
>
> and maybe this will become clearer.

I'll go digging and thinking...  (and testing on Free- and OpenBSD whether
this is a common issue on Kame-based stacks)

>   > > fe80::f00b:a4ff:fe00:4dd2%tap0 f2:0b:a4:00:4d:d2 UHL 0 0 - lo0
>   >
>   > This one seems wrong.  I have no such entry but instead have an ND cache
>   > entry.   I suspect this and the missing cloning route are related.
>
>   I see "UHL... lo0" routes for all IPv6 addresses that the system has,
>   and "UHLc" for ND (+arp) cache entries:
>
> Sorry, I see those too, which makes sense.

OK, good.  So it was just a "red herring" muddling the original issue :-)

regards,

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany