Re: Proposal to enable WAPBL by default for 10.0

On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 07:45:08 +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
>> The problem is that because it still doesn't do anything about
>> journaling or preserving file contents, but runs a lot faster, it
>> loses more data when interrupted.
>
> How does that compare to the level of damage non-journaled FFS takes?

To give anecdotal experience: My home server experienced frequent ntp
related panics two or three years ago, in particular during high
network activity. I obliterated my cvs src sandbox several times over
(with cvs not recognizing hundreds of files, and asking to move them
out of the way), until I disabled wapbl.

From then on, the sandbox was easily recoverable after every panic. It
turned out fsck times on a moderately-sized SSD were bearable -
certainly shorter than writing cleanup scripts, throwing out half of
the sandbox, and 'cvs update'ing the rest.

I have been thinking twice before mounting important partitions with
'log' ever since.

Cheerio,
hauke

--