Re: Proposal to enable WAPBL by default for 10.0

On Thu, 2020-07-23 at 05:17 +0000, David Holland wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 11:24:16PM +0200, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
>  > I propose to enable WAPBL ("log" in fstab(5)) by default for 10.0 and newer.
>  > [...]
>  >
>  > Rationale: the default filesystem (FFS) without WAPBL is more prone to
>  > data loss.
>
> It is not, unfortunately. We had WAPBL on by default some time back
> and eventually switched it off.
>
> The problem is that because it still doesn't do anything about
> journaling or preserving file contents, but runs a lot faster, it
> loses more data when interrupted.

How does that compare to the level of damage non-journaled FFS takes?
 My VM was just bricked a second time because /etc/passwd was turned to
junk.  I dare say that a proper metadata journaling + proper writes
(i.e. using rename() -- haven't verified whether that's done correctly)
should prevent that from happening again.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny