Re: makesyscalls (moving forward)

>> We should not clutter the directories that are in the normal users
>> path with things that a normal user would never care about.
> I never used 90% of the programs from /usr/bin /usr/sbin /bin /sbin.

Me neither.  calendar, indxbib, texi2dvi, newsyslog, lastcomm, sdiff,
innetgr...actually, newsyslog strikes me as a sysadmin command that
should be in /usr/sbin, not /usr/bin.

> but I definitely would use makesyscall(1).  If you have other
> argument that "I don't use it" please speak up.

None of us are "normal user"s in the sense in which it's being used
here.

But I'd also point out that the division between "sysadmin" and "normal
user" is not as clear-cut as this discussion is making it sound.  It's
a spectrum, all the way from tourist types who find changing working
directory to be a complicated and dangerous concept to people who
routinely grub around in device drivers, locore, and pmap code.

I considered suggesting something like /usr/tools, but I don't really
think that's a good idea.  There are plenty of users who have no use
for compilers, either, yet would anyone suggest moving them out of
/usr/bin?  I'd personally prefer to see the distinction between bin and
sbin (ie, between /bin and /sbin, and between /usr/bin and /usr/sbin)
go away; no matter how you draw that line, there will be people who
fall on the "wrong" side of it, people with reason to keep directories
in their path which your line says they shouldn't.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign