Re: spurious DIAGNOSTIC message "no disk label"

mouse%Rodents-Montreal.ORG@localhost writes:

> 4.3 did not have on-disk disklabels.  Partition tables were built into
> the drivers; changing partitioning required recompiling the relevant
> driver.  (I'm reasonably sure it worked that way for the disks we
> actually had on our 4.3 machine(s), at least.)

Just checked my copy of the 4.3-Tahoe installation instructions, and
they describe on-disk disklabels, but also note that not all drivers
support them (saying that it won't hurt to run disklabel(8) on these
disks, since the program will then only install the boot blocks, and not
do anything wrong).

-tih
--
Most people who graduate with CS degrees don't understand the significance
of Lisp.  Lisp is the most important idea in computer science.  --Alan Kay