Re: spurious DIAGNOSTIC message "no disk label"

I think it's wrong to print out messages like that because DIAGNOSTIC is
defined.   DIAGNOSTIC is supposed to just add KASSERT (was panic, long
ago) about conditions that must be true unless the kernel is buggy.

Separately, given that there's no rule that all disks must have labels,
it seems wrong of the kernel to print this.  Certainly readdisklable()
or something can return an error, and a caller can do something, but
IMHO external input shouldn't trigger printfs like this.

So I would be inclined to drop the printf, but as you say you might want
to figure out why there is more than one attempt  to read the label.