Re: History of disklables

Hi Edgar,

4.3 did not have on-disk disklabels.
Really?

My first encounter with BSD was ~1983 on a VAX 11/750 which switched between VMS and 4.2BSD (or 4.3, definitely not 4.4) every other day and I think it had two disc packs with different partition layouts.
I also remember ws@ (who was the guy to introduce me to Unix) telling me that disklables were DEC’s native partitioning scheme.

Wolfgang, liege ich total daneben?

You must be misremembering something.  As I didn't have access to any
pre-4.4 BSD back then (only shortly to PWB and then to V7), I had no idea
about "DEC's native partitioning scheme".

Looking at the 4.3BSD sources (at http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl)
seems to indicate that the partition tables were indeed compiled into
the kernel (as they were with V7).  However, by default the partition
tables had some overlapping partitions, so you could access your packs
with different layouts.

Ciao,
Wolfgang
--