Re: spurious DIAGNOSTIC message "no disk label"

> I'm not sure wether disks without labels could be used at all in
> 4.3bsd.

Those memories are pretty fuzzy, but I _think_ it worked this way:

4.3 did not have on-disk disklabels.  Partition tables were built into
the drivers; changing partitioning required recompiling the relevant
driver.  (I'm reasonably sure it worked that way for the disks we
actually had on our 4.3 machine(s), at least.)

> But some data kept there was probably vital for those drivers that
> supported labels.

Were there any such?  I don't recall seeing any, but I'm sure there
were plenty of disk types I never ran into (especially since I'm pretty
sure I never ran real 4.3 on anything but a VAX).

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign