Re: Vnode API change: add global vnode cache

On Mon, 07 Apr 2014, Mindaugas Rasiukevicius wrote:
Taylor R Campbell <campbell+netbsd-tech-kern%mumble.net@localhost> wrote:
   What is "intern"?

`Intern' means `lookup, or create and insert if not there'.

The point being is that I do not find it meaningful/intuitive.  Many other
systems just use get().  If you want more accurate name, I suggest conget()
or something more meaningful.

I would find "conget" confusing, while finding "intern" clear.

Essentially, to "intern" a string or an external representation of an an object, means to create an internal representation of the string or object, or to find an already existing internal representation of an identical object, and (usually) to return a reference to that internal representation. The wikipedia article at <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_interning> is focused on strings, but other objects can also be interned.

--apb (Alan Barrett)