Re: extent-patch and overview of what is supposed to follow

On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 05:53:00PM +0200, Lars Heidieker wrote:
> I don't see the need either, I can understand it from debugging
> purposes, but the stats malloc collects don't show who exactly
> allocated but only the subsystem and that information is somewhat

This is valuable information actually.
I can make a difference between e.g. USB and vnode, or acpi, or various
parts of the network stack.

> manual with passing types to malloc and free, some real tracing with
> dtrace eg seems to be more appropriate too me for the job.

- dtrace doesn't work everywhere (acutally I guess it's only x86, without Xen)
- I'm not sure you want to have dtrace running on a production server.

KMEMSTATS is more than pure debugging purpose, it also helps with
tuning, and figuring out temporary overload.