Re: extent-patch and overview of what is supposed to follow

Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> wrote:
> <...>
> - I'm not sure you want to have dtrace running on a production server.
>
> KMEMSTATS is more than pure debugging purpose, it also helps with
> tuning, and figuring out temporary overload.

DTrace was *designed* as suitable for production systems.

It does not require to compile a debug kernel, which requires reboot and
may be expensive to run.  Unlike other debug facilities, dynamic probing
does not change the function body - it is binary patching of entry/exit
points and it is only temporarily while probing.

--
Mindaugas