Re: (Semi-random) thoughts on device tree structure and devfs

mouse%Rodents-Montreal.ORG@localhost said:
> have pseudo0 attach at mainbus0 and then my device attach at pseudo0

If we are taking the "interface attribute" abstraction serious this
doesn't work easily: A device doesn't attach at a device but at
an interface attribute (which is usually provided by a device but
can come out of the blue in the pseudo-device case).
The "mainbus" and the interfaces provided by it are platform
specific and mostly static.

> I did this because I needed a struct device

That's what attach_pseudo does... I think it makes sense to
have some way to create a device hierarchy without pretending
that it is connected to the platform's physical main bus.

best regards
Matthias

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr.-Ing. Harald Bolt,
Prof. Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt