Re: (Semi-random) thoughts on device tree structure and devfs

> The code providing DKWEDGE_METHOD_GPT already has the knowledge.  I
> don't think that the knowledge has to move from there.  All that dk(4)
> has to do is to match device-properties lists, and for that it can use
> the same library function as every other match routine will use.

What if you want to mount a NIC as /?  You'll fix all drivers?

All of you say that lookup-by-ID works in your way.  It's possible,
because ID is unique.  What I'm talking is the best design how to do
it.  Now raidframe(4) alreadys does it itself, why do you have same
logic in raidframe(4) and dk(4)?

I think dk(4) does too many things.  That means you have to
re-implement same logic in many places.  That also means users have to
learn all devices' behavior.

If you say all drivers behave same way, why do you have multiple copies of code?

> The point is to make the device node, /dev/dk3, a reliable handle for
> the volume.

The point is you can't rely on device unit numbers of pseudo devices.

Masao