Re: (Semi-random) thoughts on device tree structure and devfs

> Have everyone forgotten how to set up their own kernel? Is everyone now
> booting GENERIC? (Or just making a copy of GENERIC, with a few patches
> without understanding what they are editing?)
> The whole point being that if you boot a kernel, in which you have
> configured the whole system to connect anything anywhere, you should not
> be surprised if the device enumeration might seem random.
> If you want predictable device enumetaion, you can have that, and have
> been able to have that for over twenty years...
> The line
> wd*     at atabus? drive ? flags 0x0000
> (to use one example) says that match any wd type disk to any unit number
> on any atabus, without doing any closer matching. Ie. kindof
> unpredictable.
> The asterisks and question marks means exactly that. If you want
> predictable matching that stays the same at every boot, no matter what
> hardware you put on the system, you write explicit lines in the config
> instead.

Imagine if I want to use a USB disk as / on my DELL OptiPlex 745.  The device
tree of that machine looks like:

How do you write a kernel config which can always identify my USB disk as
sd0a, even if I plug random devices?

Masao Uebayashi / Tombi Inc. / Tel: +81-90-9141-4635