Re: Xen Clustering and Live Migration with NetBSD Dom0

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 16:25:18 +0100, Jean-Yves Migeon wrote:
On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 14:30:58 +0100 (BST), Stephen Borrill wrote:
I tried a -current domU with XenServer and in conjunction with a
patch to enable /kern/xen/xenbus, I fed XenServer all the right info
for it to accept NetBSD as a supported guest (thus enabling migrate,
suspend, memory ballooning, etc.). When I tried to migrate, it sent
through a sleep button press on xenbus which I guess would need to be
caught by powerd to action a suspend within the domU. Is there
something within the NetBSD domU to do this?

Yes; I made a modification to -current where powerd(8) is "enabled"
by default when you are in the following situation:
- running under Xen
- i386 or amd64 host

http://nxr.netbsd.org/xref/src/etc/etc.amd64/rc.conf.append
http://nxr.netbsd.org/xref/src/etc/powerd/scripts/sleep_button#22

However, this is only the case with an up-to-datish userland; so
unless you have updated it recently, you have to turn on powerd in
rc.conf(5) explicitly.

Let me add: as stated in the "HEADS UP" mail, the backend ring for xbdback(4) is very likely to get corrupted on resume. So you can save the domU, but resuming it will "fail" (the domU will sumbit invalid requests and stall).

I am currently analyzing this bug and have something on the tracks; but I will only test it thoroughly at the end of this week though, so stay tuned.

--
Jean-Yves Migeon
jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost