Re: using linux as domU. --- done!!!

First, I successfully got Ubuntu domU using an image.

Second, I'm having trouble creating a file system to untar a file system.

Also, when installing a linux domu, you can simply tar up and extract an existing filesystem of a working desktop/server of any distro to either a partition or file image. The problem for most BSDers is they have no existing, or want for an existing system.

In attempting to create a file system on a vnode under NetBSD-4.99 with
newfs_ext2fs it reports back that when opening for write it is busy.
Can someone give me a hint of what I am doing wrong?

It seems that NetBSD-4.0 had a package to work with ext2fs while 4.99 has
it as part of the system. =====
ar1204# cat /etc/motd
NetBSD 4.99.72 (XEN3_DOM0) #0: Mon Sep 29 12:08:41 PDT 2008
ar1204# vnconfig -l vnd6
vnd6: /Xen (/dev/wd0h) inode 1548295
ar1204# disklabel vnd6
# /dev/rvnd6d:
type: vnd
disk: vnd
label: fictitious
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 32
tracks/cylinder: 64
sectors/cylinder: 2048
cylinders: 4096
total sectors: 8388608
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # microseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # microseconds
drivedata: 0

4 partitions:
#        size    offset     fstype [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
 a:   8388608         0 Linux Ext2      0     0        # (Cyl.      0 -   4095)
 d:   8388608         0     unused      0     0        # (Cyl.      0 -   4095)
ar1204# newfs_ext2fs /dev/vnd6a
newfs_ext2fs: /dev/vnd6a: open for write: Device busy
====

If you bother to handcraft a basic linux image for bootstrapping debian etc, it's worthwhile keeping a copy for creating custom installs later on. Also consider backing up your fresh distro installs as these can be used to roll out additional domu later on. Every now and then I boot into my backup images and update them so I don't have to worry when rolling out.

Hopefully some of that is useful.

Sarton