Re: using linux as domU. --- done!!!

John Hayward wrote:
Is the apt package ubuntu-xen-server only for adm64 hardware? Is there something which needs to be done to get the kernel other than apt-get install ubuntu-xen-server?

I just thought I'd note that, since I last checked, the distributed kernel tends to be 2.6.18 no matter which distro (there may be a .22 available). As long as you have a domu kernel and matching initrd, you can use this with any linux distro you install as domu, assuming it contains all required modules.

Also, when installing a linux domu, you can simply tar up and extract an existing filesystem of a working desktop/server of any distro to either a partition or file image. The problem for most BSDers is they have no existing, or want for an existing system.

If you bother to handcraft a basic linux image for bootstrapping debian etc, it's worthwhile keeping a copy for creating custom installs later on. Also consider backing up your fresh distro installs as these can be used to roll out additional domu later on. Every now and then I boot into my backup images and update them so I don't have to worry when rolling out.

Hopefully some of that is useful.

Sarton