Re: boot.cfg

On Sep,Wednesday 17 2008, at 9:39 PM, Christoph Egger wrote:

Robert Swindells wrote:
Manuel Bouyer wrote:
On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 05:15:10PM +0100, Robert Swindells wrote:
Are you seeing some output on the serial console ?
The two laptops that I have been using to test this don't have serial
ports. I can try on another system though.

If I don't specify a console then I get Xen output up to the line that reads "Xen is relinquishing VGA console.", then nothing until the login
prompt appears.

OK, so Xen uses both the serial and VGA console, and NetBSD thinks
it's a serial console.

With "console=pc" nothing between boot(8) messages and
the login prompt.

So both thinks it's a serial console. Do you pass "console=pc" to the Xen
kernel, or the NetBSD kernel ?
For a VGA console (VGA only, no output on serial console at all) you need:
console=vga
passed to xen.gz, and
console=pc
or
console=tty0
passed to the NetBSD kernel.

That was it, I was missing the console=vga option to the Xen kernel.

The following will now work as a boot.cfg option:

menu=Boot Xen:modules enabled;load /netbsd-DOM0;multiboot xen.gz dom0_mem=65536 console=vga -- bootdev=wd0a ro console=pc

If anyone wants to try it out there is a copy of boot(8) with the changes at:

<ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/rjs/boot>

I can boot a amd64 Dom0 with a 64bit Xen 3.3 just
out-of-the box. Great work!

Wow that is great :). To be able to boot netbsd xen server without grub dependency.

Thanks.

Regards

Adam.