Re: boot.cfg

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 05:15:10PM +0100, Robert Swindells wrote:
> >Are you seeing some output on the serial console ?
>
> The two laptops that I have been using to test this don't have serial
> ports. I can try on another system though.
>
> If I don't specify a console then I get Xen output up to the line that
> reads "Xen is relinquishing VGA console.", then nothing until the login
> prompt appears.

OK, so Xen uses both the serial and VGA console, and NetBSD thinks
it's a serial console.

> With "console=pc" nothing between boot(8) messages and
> the login prompt.

So both thinks it's a serial console. Do you pass "console=pc" to the Xen
kernel, or the NetBSD kernel ?
For a VGA console (VGA only, no output on serial console at all) you need:
console=vga
passed to xen.gz, and
console=pc
or
console=tty0
passed to the NetBSD kernel.

> I couldn't see anywhere in the Xen sources where it tried to use any
> console settings from the multiboot info but will look again.
>
> When I asked about debugging ideas I really wanted to know if there
> was anything with a faster turnaround time than to create patches to
> xenkernel3 and build from scratch, I was unable to get a working Xen
> kernel by rebuilding an existing tree.

I did this several times and it worked; but you have to use the
exact gmake line from the pkgsrc makefile, with the right PAE and debug
settings:
gmake XEN_TARGET_X86_PAE=n debug=y xen
(because the debug kernel is built last, and is what's left in the
$WRKSRC tree).