Re: Bridging with WLAN interface

Sarton O'Brien wrote:
On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 05:00:13 am Marcin M. Jessa wrote:
Hi guys.

I've Xen0 set up to bridge traffic out of the DomUs.
I've a Windows XP DomU with it's intet device defined like this:
vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=bridge0, mac=00:00:00:ff:fe:01' ]

Bridge0 interface has two members, the wired (wm0) and wireless (iwn) nics.
The Windows DomU gets IP address from a DHCP server.
This setup works fine and Windows gets online as long as I connect to network with the wired interface. But when I connect using the WLAN interface then the Windows host is unable to ping anything outside. I can ping the IP of my WLAN interface from Windows just fine, and vice-versa, but I cannot access the rest of my network. And I can of course access my network directly using the WLAN interface from my Dom0.

I also specifically defined my wireless interface in xend-config.sxp: (network-script 'network-bridge netdev=iwn0')

Any idea why this isn't working? This is very strange.

I also remember to have the same issue with Linux on the same computer.
I had to set up NATing to be able to access my LAN from DomUs.
But that was Linux and I didn't expect things to work properly...

Is the intention to only use the wireless NIC?
This is for two scenarios using wired nic at work and wireless at home.
Do you get the same problem with a netbsd domu?
No, I use XEN mostly to run Linux and Windows DomUs on NetBSD Dom0 on my laptop.
If it's a limitation of our 802.11 bridge support, like Quentin stated, then I guess you are limited to routing. I don't believe you need to be using NAT. Plenty of people in the past have stated they use a routed setup (xennet->xvif->interface).

I'd imagine there is some better way to predetermine the xvif assignment than by using mac and dhcp but I could be completely wrong?

If no-one responds to the above, I'd be happy to attempt to research a little. Unfortunately I don't have a wireless nic though.

As for linux, I use openwrt (linux 2.4) with custom bridge configurations and broadcom wireless. It seems to be completely functional (from an 802.3 perspective).
This may be related to the particular driver I've been using ( Intel PRO/Wireless 4965AGN ), I don't know...