Re: Bridging with WLAN interface

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 05:00:13 am Marcin M. Jessa wrote:
> Hi guys.
>
> I've Xen0 set up to bridge traffic out of the DomUs.
> I've a Windows XP DomU with it's intet device defined like this:
> vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=bridge0, mac=00:00:00:ff:fe:01' ]
>
> Bridge0 interface has two members, the wired (wm0) and wireless (iwn) nics.
> The Windows DomU gets IP address from a DHCP server.
> This setup works fine and Windows gets online as long as I connect to
> network with the wired interface.
> But when I connect using the WLAN interface then the Windows host is
> unable to ping anything outside.
> I can ping the IP of my WLAN interface from Windows just fine, and
> vice-versa, but I cannot access the rest of my network.
> And I can of course access my network directly using the WLAN interface
> from my Dom0.
>
> I also specifically defined my wireless interface in xend-config.sxp:
> (network-script 'network-bridge netdev=iwn0')
>
> Any idea why this isn't working? This is very strange.
>
> I also remember to have the same issue with Linux on the same computer.
> I had to set up NATing to be able to access my LAN from DomUs.
> But that was Linux and I didn't expect things to work properly...

Is the intention to only use the wireless NIC?

Do you get the same problem with a netbsd domu?

If it's a limitation of our 802.11 bridge support, like Quentin stated, then I
guess you are limited to routing. I don't believe you need to be using NAT.
Plenty of people in the past have stated they use a routed setup
(xennet->xvif->interface).

I'd imagine there is some better way to predetermine the xvif assignment than
by using mac and dhcp but I could be completely wrong?

If no-one responds to the above, I'd be happy to attempt to research a little.
Unfortunately I don't have a wireless nic though.

As for linux, I use openwrt (linux 2.4) with custom bridge configurations and
broadcom wireless. It seems to be completely functional (from an 802.3
perspective).

Sarton