Port-vax archive

Re: device matching at mainbus

Mouse wrote:

> > I'll ask you again If I think that it helps, ok?
> Sure, you're welcome to ask me anytime, provided it's OK if I end up
> answering "I don't know" - or, occasionally, "I don't have the leisure
> to think/talk about that now".

Fine :-)
> > But I can't even read a NetBSD Manual..think I have to install a
> > native System on my VS4000/90 or install a "cross manual system"..
> In most respects, a NetBSD install on any other architecture will do as
> well.  If you install something recent enough (2.0? 3.1? I forget when
> it came in), you can even do cross-builds.  I don't recommend them for
> most purposes (for vax especially; ISTR an issue which was hidden for
> months by cross-building, and it was on vax), but they can be very
> useful for doing an initial bootstrap build.
> /~\ The ASCII                           Mouse
> \ / Ribbon Campaign
>  X  Against HTML              mouse%rodents-montreal.org@localhost
> / \ Email!         7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B

Crossbuilds with NetBSD are relative easy it seems, at the moment I'm only
crossbuilding the kernel on a FreeBSD Host.

When you say "any NetBSD will do" .. I had to install it on some machine
anyway, so I can also use the VS4000/90 that sits unused below the Table
and have  a VAX host. Ok, not a Supercomputer anymore, but one if the
fastest VAXen I think.
So far as I know there is one of the disk slots empty, only had to look how
to fasten the disk. An other problem is the disk size, will 4GB from
$manufacturer work or are there some disksize related problems? I think I
have some 9,1GB too, even 2 and 1 GB but they are reserverd vor the

Maybe I have to search for an AUI to TP Module and have to crimp some MMJ
to DB9 cables.. Is there an X-server vor the VS4000/90?

By the way, I have an RZ58E with a defective PCB, my attempts to fix it
failed. Has anyone here a disk with defective mechanics for me (only need
the pcb so the shipping should be cheap and no prob at all, I'm paying

  www.tsht.de, info%tsht.de@localhost, Fax +49 3731 74200, Mobil: 0172 8790 741