Re: device matching at mainbus

Mouse wrote:

> >> [...]
> >> How can I implement 2 instances of a driver at mainbus otherways?
> > So here is no one that knows anything again.
>
> Well, one that _I_ don't, at least.  The closest I've come to this was
> when I added a pseudo-bus at mainbus, which I did because I had a
> pseudo-device I wanted in the autoconf tree, which (in the version I
> did it in) pseudo-devices weren't.  So, I added a pseudo bus and made
> my devices attach there; as far as the autoconf machinery is concerned,
> there's nothing pseudo about them.  The driver doesn't actually talk to
> any hardware, but autoconf doesn't know that.
>
> I can give diffs if you want, but the kernel I did that to is now over
> a decade old, so it's at least moderately likely it won't help much.
>
> > Thx guys for letting me swim alone in the cold water.
>
> Well, as I think we've remarked before, you're off in an area of the
> water where not very many people are swimming.
>
> /~\ The ASCII                           Mouse
> \ / Ribbon Campaign
>  X  Against HTML              mouse%rodents-montreal.org@localhost
> / \ Email!         7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B

Thanks Mouse, but I don't think that this is of much help.
I've converted the driver to my rtvbus again to be able to use the autoconf
stuff using the "native" drivers as an example.

...seeing somebody swimm in arctic water isn't meant as to be looking how long
he could withstand  the temperatures... (that's not at your address)

To be clear what I mean, there are many occurences of things like this:

        /*
         * XXX - This is evil and ugly, but...
         * due to the nature of how bus_space_* works on VAX, this will
         * be perfectly good until everything is converted.
         */

This one is from Ragge and for sure it exists for a long time.
I don't think that is mean't as an example how to do thinkgs at all,
and every driver is doing things in a different (evil?) way.
For one that doesn't know much about those things. this is like hell trying
to learn how it should be done at all.

BTW:
<mouse%Rodents-Montreal.ORG@localhost>: host
Sparkle-4.Rodents-Montreal.ORG[216.46.5.7]
    refused to talk to me: 550-.de's whois server, whois.denic.de, is
    completely broken, handing 550-out no contact information at all when
    queried for .de domains in 550 the usual way.  Such a domain has no
    place on a civilized network.

Right, but do you think I can change ther policy in any way?
They do this b'cause of "security reasons of personal data".
You can get the wanted contact information on ther website www.denic.de
after entering some captcha, so only machines are prevented to aquire and
collect those informations automagically.
No, I don't think this is the right way, so don't kick in my ass this way
:-)
I do have a .com domain also, but haven't setup the MUA Architecture for
this domain (get only forwards).

from www.denic.de or tiffe.de:

Domaindaten
Domain  tiffe.de
Letzte Aktualisierung   09.03.2012
Domaininhaber

Der Domaininhaber ist der Vertragspartner der DENIC und damit der an der
Domain materiell Berechtigte.
Domaininhaber:  Holm Tiffe
Adresse:        Freiberger Strasse 24
PLZ:    09600
Ort:    Oberschoena
Land:   DE

$ uname -a
FreeBSD unicorn.tsht.lan 8.3-STABLE FreeBSD 8.3-STABLE #25: Wed Aug  8
17:19:58 CEST 2012
holm%unicorn.tsht.lan@localhost:/data/FreeBSD/obj/data/FreeBSD/src/sys/UNICORN
i386
$ whois tiffe.de
% Copyright (c) 2010 by DENIC
% Version: 2.0
%
% Restricted rights.
%
% Terms and Conditions of Use
%
% The data in this record is provided by DENIC for informational purposes only.
% DENIC does not guarantee its accuracy and cannot, under any circumstances,
% be held liable in case the stored information would prove to be wrong,
% incomplete or not accurate in any sense.
%
% All the domain data that is visible in the whois service is protected by law.
% It is not permitted to use it for any purpose other than technical or
% administrative requirements associated with the operation of the Internet.
% It is explicitly forbidden to extract, copy and/or use or re-utilise in any
% form and by any means (electronically or not) the whole or a quantitatively
% or qualitatively substantial part of the contents of the whois database
% without prior and explicit written permission by DENIC.
% It is prohibited, in particular, to use it for transmission of unsolicited
% and/or commercial and/or advertising by phone, fax, e-mail or for any similar
% purposes.
%
% By maintaining the connection you assure that you have a legitimate interest
% in the data and that you will only use it for the stated purposes. You are
% aware that DENIC maintains the right to initiate legal proceedings against
% you in the event of any breach of this assurance and to bar you from using
% its whois service.
%
% The DENIC whois service on port 43 never discloses any information concerning
% the domain holder/administrative contact. Information concerning the domain
% holder/administrative contact can be obtained through use of our web-based
% whois service available at the DENIC website:
% http://www.denic.de/en/background/whois-service/webwhois.html
%

Domain: tiffe.de
Nserver: ns.freibergnet.de
Nserver: ns1.first-ns.de
Changed: 2012-03-09T17:30:02+01:00

[Tech-C]
Type: PERSON
Name: FreibergNet Hostmaster
Address: Am St. Niclas Schacht 13
PostalCode: 09599
City: Freiberg
CountryCode: DE
Phone: +49 3731781279
Fax: +49 3731781377
Email: hostmaster%freibergnet.de@localhost
Changed: 2005-09-12T11:32:10+02:00

[Zone-C]
Type: PERSON
Name: FreibergNet Hostmaster
Address: Am St. Niclas Schacht 13
PostalCode: 09599
City: Freiberg
CountryCode: DE
Phone: +49 3731781279
Fax: +49 3731781377
Email: hostmaster%freibergnet.de@localhost
Changed: 2005-09-12T11:32:10+02:00
$

The Mails to this hostmaster are reaching me and my
Ex-Boss.

Regards,

Holm
  www.tsht.de, info%tsht.de@localhost, Fax +49 3731 74200, Mobil: 0172 8790 741