Re: SCSI port type

----- Original Message -----

This is a general reply to the conversation.  I am in agreement with Mr. Brandt.

LVD hardware is backwards compatible with SE.  I have used onboard SE
controllers on SPARC workstations (SS2, SS5, SS20) to drive newer LVD style
drives in the past.

HVD hardware won't talk to SE or LVD hardware.  I have an LTO tape library that
is HVD for the enclosure and the drive, and had to figure out what I needed to
drive this beast years ago when all I had was SE and LVD equipment.

"Most LVD devices are "multimode", automatically detecting when they are
attached to a single-ended bus, and operating in single-ended mode. This makes
it possible to mix LVD and single-ended devices on the same bus. However, if
only one single-ended device is connected to a SCSI bus, all devices on that
bus will operate in single-ended mode, and all of the single-ended limitations
will apply: shorter cable lengths, fewer devices, and slower bus speeds."

http://support.tandbergdata.com/knowledge-base/display.cfm?id=775

--Dan