Re: building userland with a netbooted system

> I tried the latest 5.1 source and it did get a little bit farther (I
> think).

As I understand it, 5.1 is released and thus is frozen, so "latest" is
pretty meaningless as applied to it.

> Still does not complete the build. Here is a link:
> http://datazap.net/sites/14/build.log

Quoting from that,

> /usr/src/../tools/bin/powerpc--netbsd-ar cq libedit_pic.a [...]
> nbmake: don't know how to make nbmake:. Stop

I have no clue what's wrong here.

I dug out my macppc machine (a 7300 with a G3 CPU upgrade).  It has, as
I thought, 4.0.1 on it.  I have 5.2 cross-building from amd64; onjce
it's built I'll put it on the drive (there's plenty of spare space) and
try a native build.

(Back to quoting the email.)

> Just wondering if I am doing something wrong when I setup the
> netboot.  I untar everything with tar -xzpf.  In the online docs it
> says to untar the kernel in one step and then a few steps later to
> untar base.tgz and etc.tgz with tar -xvpzf which I would think is
> effectively the same thing or is it?

The presence or absence of v doesn't matter except for how noisy it is.

> When I did it, I untarred all the tars files in the order they would
> they would be in with 'ls'.  Could it matter what order I untar them
> in?

Maybe.  I'm not sure; I always unpack base first, then etc, then do the
rest in whatever order is convenient.

> I think that I can netboot a live server and then I can transfer the
> netbooted install to the hard drive with 'dump | restore',

Yes and no.  Your concept is right but your details are wrong.

You can transfer your netbooted system to a disk and have it work
(you'll also need to set up whatever is needed for disk booting, which
IIRC isn't much for macppc).  But you can't do it with dump and
restore, because dump dumps UFS filesystems, not NFS.

There are (at least) two possibilities here.  One is, you can do it
with tar (or moral equivalent, eg pax) instead of dump and restore.
The other is, if the filesystem on your NFS server doesn't have
anything but the macppc system on it, you can run dump there and pipe
the dump canister over the net to your macppc machine to restore it
onto the real disk.

Personally, I'd go with tar.  But there are two reasons for that, one
of which does not apply to you and the other of which might: (1) I have
my own tar, which trust to get such things right more than I trust
dump/restore; (2) my NFS server has multiple clients on the same
filesystem.

Actually, I'd suggest doing that transfer now, before you do the build.
That way, your build can be done on real disk, which is likely to be
faster and might even be non-crashy.

\ / Ribbon Campaign