building userland with a netbooted system

Hello,

I just setup a diskless system. I wanted to compile NetBSD 5.1.2 source tree (userland) on it. It always fails after maybe 12 hours of compiling. I think the error is with readline. The system is a Blue & White G3 rev. 2 motherboard with 1GB of ram. I also setup a 100 MB swap file. I am now seeing if unlimiting the shell helps. Just wondering if it is possible to compile userland with a netbooted machine? Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
Al