Re: -current on PowerBook G4 667 (TiBook)

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012, Michael wrote:

On Jul 14, 2012, at 5:05 AM, John D. Baker wrote:

I'm guesing powerd intercepts this and begins a normal shutdown and
poweroff, but it never completes.  At this point, pressing Fn-LCmd
again elicits a kernel message:

adbkbd0: power switch pressed, shutting down.

Hmm, so it produces the same ADB sequence as the power button. I wonder if there's a way to tell the two apart :/

(or something like that--it happens too quick) and the machine immediately
powers off.

Then powerd didn't get it, otherwise it would do a more orderly ( and therefore slower ) shutdown.

The _first_ time I press Fn-LCmd, it (powerd?) reports power button
pressed and starts an orderly shutdown.  It gets around to unmounting
filesystems, but since I'm currently operating it netboot/NFS-root, it
never finishes shutting down and just hangs (if I had DEBUG defined, it
would print an endless procession of "nfs_timer: error 49 ignored"
messages and never actually finish powering off).

At this point, there is no powerd running anymore, so the _second_ time
I press Fn-LCmd, it produces the kernel message and shuts down immediately.

DRM won't work on non-x86.

I suspected this would be the answer.  Oh well.  [ rambling deleted ]

I mapped the enter key on the right of the right Command key to the right mouse button - close enough to the pad and it's not like that key would be used for anything else anyway.

I noticed that its default mapping is as the right-Alt key.

Also, Shift-Fn-{Up,Down}Arrow does scroll terminal windows, but its very
sensitive to order.  You MUST press Shift well before pressing Fn.  I'd
gotten used to (in MacOS X) just mashing LShift-Fn simultaneously and
pressing the desired arrow key.

Mouse operation deteriorates over time.  After a few hours, the mouse
will lose a coordinate, or be limited to a small region of the upper
left portion of the screen, and eventually, be stuck in the upper left
corner of the screen.  I was using the trackpad exclusively at the time,
but plugging in a USB mouse after the fact didn't change the behavior.

Any mouse event (motion or button) will send the mouse to the upper
right corner of the screen.  In a multi-pane graphical environment (fvwm
in my case) this will warp the screen to the upper-right workspace from
any other place.  In fvwm, you can use Alt-Tab to bring up a window list
and warp to any window on any workspace of the current desktop, so you
can navigate a bit while the mouse is stuck.