Re: -current on PowerBook G4 667 (TiBook)

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012, John D. Baker wrote:

That's what I was hoping for.  I tried every Fn-Fkey combination but
it sent brightness/volume controls regardless of whether or not I held
the Fn key down.  Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention.

I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention.  Fn-Fkey does produce
some sort of function string.  Cmd-Fn-F[1-5] does definitely switch
screens.

And if you get things in the wrong order:

the key combination "Fn-LCmd" is treated as though the power switch
was pressed.

I'm guesing powerd intercepts this and begins a normal shutdown and
poweroff, but it never completes.  At this point, pressing Fn-LCmd
again elicits a kernel message:

  adbkbd0: power switch pressed, shutting down.

(or something like that--it happens too quick) and the machine immediately
powers off.

Is there an 'EDID' property?

There is an EDID1 property.  See:

  http://bobdbob.com/~jdbaker/nbsd-debug/TiBook-ofctl-p.txt

Another curious thing is that "X -configure" says "nothing to
configure" and exits without even a bare-bones xorg.conf.  See:

  http://bobdbob.com/~jdbaker/nbsd-debug/TiBook-X-config-fail.txt

X runs well enough with its built-in configuration, but throws some
curious warnings about being unable to map IO space, it can't enable
DRM, and a couple of expected modules are not present:

  http://bobdbob.com/~jdbaker/nbsd-debug/TiBook-builtin-defs-Xorg.0.log

And it gets the size of my 15-inch TiBook's LCD panel wrong.  Using the
notes in the log file, I assembled a minimal xorg.conf and specified

  Options       "PanelSize"   "1152x768"

in the "Device" section (see radeon(4)) and the server was then able to
use the full width of my LCD panel.

By default F11 and F12 act as middle and right button. You can change
that using sysctl, see adbkbd(4)

Indeed they do.  Since F11 has no extra hardware function the Fn key is
not needed.  Since F12 is normally the optical-drive eject button, one
must use Fn-F12 to get the right-button event.