Re: Netbooting a blue and white G3

Andy,

Check if you have a Rev. A or B logic board (mobo). I can't check right now, but you can look up lowendmac.com's profiles, where there's a procedure to check which one you have.

You'll be all right if you have the Rev. B logic board, because it supports two drives on each of the two ATA channels. If you have a Rev. A, you can only have one drive in ata0 (is it really ata0?).

Whichever is your logic board's revision, be sure to always configure the drives as master and slave, accordingly. Never ever use the "cable select" option. Also, it's a good thing to respect the ATA cable position (master on the end of the cable, slave on the middle connector).

I am not sure if OF3 can load ofwboot.xcf from a MSDOS partition. I use a very small HFS partition for the bootloader, cause I boot from a 128MB CompactFlash card. If you already have a Mac OS X installation, just place ofwboot on its partition and be sure it's inside the first 128GB of the disk. Otherwise, just create a small HFS partition for the bootloader.

As you certainly know, you can have the bootloader placed on a different disk than you NetBSD partitions. So, if you don;t want to have the HFS partition in your NetBSD disk, just slap another drive in the machine.

Cheers,
Flavio