Re: Netbooting a blue and white G3

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 8:31 AM, Michael <macallan%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
> This used to work, even with the busted firmware in my beige G3.
> On the other hand, I got similar problems netbooting my iBook G4 and got
> around it by having OF load the kernel directly, without ofwboot.xcf. I'm
> not sure if your OF version understands ELF binaries though, and even if it
> does it will barf on binaries bigger than ~4MB so INSTALL or GENERIC won't
> work.
> Unfortunately I'm not at all familiar with the boot loader. Any chance to
> try an older loader from - for example - 4.0, just to see if it even tries
> to load a kernel?
> It can't be too busted though, netbooting via ofwboot works fine on sparc64
> and the nfs code should be shared.

I looked at wireshark and the mac was saying it had some problem with
portmap. I didn't have any other diskless clients running on the
server at the time, so I just rebooted it (the NFS server) and now it
works fine. Really weird since I followed all of the diskless
instructions and restarted all the daemons. Oh well. NetBSD/macppc is
running happily diskless from my NFS server now.

So my next task is to put a real disk in it and install onto it, then
see if I can make the firmware boot from it. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks all.

Andy