Re: Netbooting a blue and white G3

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 16:34:23 -0700
Andy Ruhl <acruhl%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
[...]
> Your iso trick on the front of the disk is nice, but why doesn't the
> installer do this then? Or make a MS-DOS partition like OpenBSD does?
> Or make the disk look like Mr. Pedersen explained earlier?

As I understand it, the installer was written in the days of OF 2. And
while it works well with OF 1 & 2 systems, it's not readily adaptable
to OF 3, as the disk preparation is entirely different. In short, for
OF 3, new disk preparation functionality needs to be written.

OpenBSD came late to macppc, and started with OF 3.

> Like I said, if I find an easier way, I'll try to write something for
> the FAQ. I don't know enough about Macs to know if what I'm doing is
> only specific to the blue and white G3 or not.

It's not. It's about the same as what I've run into on OF 3 machines in
general.