Re: G3 upgrade L2 cache

Am 20.04.2009 um 17:19 schrieb Havard Eidnes:

I just pulled the card.  It's a "Sonnet Crescendo G3" and the
sticker also says "300/512".  [...] assume the 300 is the clock
speed and the 512 is the cache size.  This helps, but still leaves
me wondering what clock ratio to use and which of the L2RAM values
it wants.
According to that web page, the 512k cache Crescendo G3's L2 runs at
150 MHz (2:1).

Well, according to that page, there exists a 300MHz Sonnet G3 card with
512K of cache running at 150MHz.  Lacking any particular reason to
think there exist no other Sonnet 300/512 cards, I'd been considering
this nothing more than a hint - especially since it says "Crescendo
PCI", and my card is not marked "PCI" as far as I can see.

If I recall correctly, this is a matter of nomenclature.  What I
think this means is that this is a CPU card for a "PCI" MacIntosh
model, where 7600 is one in that family; I beleive this model was
among the first MacIntosh machines to have a PCI bus.

I think the crescendo PCI was for the Macintoshes with non-replaceable CPU's - you could plug them into a free PCI slot and disable the onboard CPU. If I remember correctly the 6400 was such a beast.

But the L2 cache was identical, AFAICR.

Cheers
        Oskar