Re: G3 upgrade L2 cache (was Re: severely bad timekeeping)

>> I just pulled the card.  It's a "Sonnet Crescendo G3" and the
>> sticker also says "300/512".  [...] assume the 300 is the clock
>> speed and the 512 is the cache size.  This helps, but still leaves
>> me wondering what clock ratio to use and which of the L2RAM values
>> it wants.
> According to that web page, the 512k cache Crescendo G3's L2 runs at
> 150 MHz (2:1).

Well, according to that page, there exists a 300MHz Sonnet G3 card with
512K of cache running at 150MHz.  Lacking any particular reason to
think there exist no other Sonnet 300/512 cards, I'd been considering
this nothing more than a hint - especially since it says "Crescendo
PCI", and my card is not marked "PCI" as far as I can see.

>> If I get those values set wrong, can it actually fry hardware, or
>> will it corrupt memory at worst?
> It'll crash.  There's no chance you'll fry any hardware.

Well, then, I can just try all three L2RAM values and see which one(s)
work(s).  I feel much less worried about experimenting when a wrong
guess means the OS crashes, rather than letting the magic smoke out.

\ / Ribbon Campaign