To: "David Brownlee" <abs%NetBSD.org@localhost>; "T. Makinen"
<tjamaloo%gmail.com@localhost>
Cc: <port-atari%netbsd.org@localhost>
Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2008 11:03 PM
Subject: Re: scsi freezing problem with NetBSD current

Ok, my immediate priority for tonight has been to just try the latest kernel and see how things go:
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/HEAD/200810310002Z/atari/binary/kernel/

Indeed I was able to boot the netbsd-BOOT kernel. (I haven't exercised it enough yet to see if I'm hitting the panic I've been seeing.) Next I tried netbsd-ATARITT but I found that this (and the original 4.0 netbsd-ATARITT kernel) fail on boot. There's garbled video that appears immediately (the boot may succeed in the background, but it's not very useful if I can't see anything). I just filed a PR on this (port-atari/39849).

This is more or less a blocker for me right now because I install via ethernet, and only the netbsd-ATARITT kernel has the built-in riebl drivers.

Another interesting issue is that the size of the netbsd-ATARITT kernel has just now exceeded the size of a 1.44MB floppy. :-) I was able to get around this limitation using the really cool ghostlink app available here:
http://uml.darkspace.org.uk/mirrors/Atari/Internet_and_Comms/GhostLink-v1.02/

It works great in Windows 2000 and will essentially map a drive letter on the Atari to a drive letter on the Windows PC over a serial link. In fact, I could use this to copy all the netbsd 4.0 sets over to the Atari and do an install w/o ethernet support. I'll probably try something like this in the next few days, but it would be much better if the netbsd-ATARITT kernel just worked, as it once did. :-)

David Ross
dross%pobox.com@localhost

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Brownlee" <abs%NetBSD.org@localhost>