Re: Re: Re: AmigaOS 3.2 kickstart ROM crashing on NetBSD partitions (Was NetBSD/amiga sysinst)

Hi,

On Sat, 25 Mar 2023, David Brownlee wrote:

> > The patch works like this: if opening "console.device" fails, it tries to
> > initialize the "console.device" ROM module using FindResident and
> > InitResident, and then open the device again. For older Kickstarts, the
> > code is practically unchanged, because there the first opening already
> > works. For newer Kickstarts, this works around the initialization issue.
>
> Nice work!
>
> I can definitely get this committed to the NetBSD tree, and pulled up
> into earlier branches.

Thanks.

> As you have everything to hand are you able to confirm it works fine
> on 3.1 (and probably 2.05) - or throw up a quick hdf for others to
> look at?

I tested it with 3.1 (v40.68) as well, it works. Personally, I do not use
these newschool Kickstarts at all. I admit, I had to pirate^Wborrow one to
be able to look at the issue, just out of plain curiosity. :P

As I wrote the code path doesn't change for older Kickstarts (where
opening console.device "always" succeeds), I do not see why it could cause
a compatibility issue.

But of course, all tests are welcomed, so be my guest:
http://charlie.amigaspirit.hu/temp/private/netbsd-bb-fixed.hdf.xz

Note: I did not test this HDF image any further than if it loads the
bootblock successfully. Probably not, but it is what came out as
"miniroot.fs" from some current NetBSD source I pulled from GitHub. But
this behavior is regardless of Kickstart version and my patch. I did not
investigate that part at all.

Charlie