Re: Questions bfore installing amd64

2008/11/10 Gobbledegeek <gobbledegeek%gmail.com@localhost>:
> Hello
>

>  I already have netbsd i386 installed in a partition. I want to move
> to amd64 platform.
>

> 1. I could not locate the boot ISO image for amd64 port here:
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-4.0.1/amd64/installation/ .
> There is only a 3.2MB (what looks like a net install) iso file here.
> Where is the complete ISO image?
>
> 2. I thik this is not possible, but let me ask anyways - Can I upgrade
> form i386 to amd64 in place after booting the i386 OS? How ?
>
> 3. Are the fglrx ATI binary drivers supported? I have a 780G HD3200
> graphics onboard Gigabyte mobo with be-2350 cpu.
>
> 4. I ultimately want to run VirtualBox under linux emulation. Can
> somebody confirm if this is known to work? This will be a showstopper
> for me if not.

In my view you don't stand a chance here. Porting VirtualBox natively
to NetBSD should not be excessively difficult, but as far as I know
it, there is noone working on it. Mind you, NetBSD as of now does not
work at all under VirtualBox, so I guess there is not much interest to
make it among the developpers (which is understandable, people have
limited time...). On the other hand, [Open|Free|Dfly]BSD all work
better, if not perfect, under latest VirtualBox editions, so it should
be possible (the usual answer is that VBox emulation is "not quite",
but it is good enough for almost everyone else...).

> --
> Kind  Regards
> GobbleDeGeek
> [For  everything Gobbledegook!!]

Chavdar Ivanov
--
----
Charles M. Schulz  - "I have a new philosophy. I'm only going to dread