Re: Questions bfore installing amd64

On Feb 26, 12:45am, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
} On Mon, 10 Nov 2008, John Nemeth wrote:
} >     You pretty much need to use sysinst to do an uprade.  You then
} > need to hope that compat32 works, otherwise all your packages will
} > break.  When I did this a couple of years ago, compat32 didn't work.
} > There may also be other gotchas.  I did this a couple of years ago and
} > don't recall all the details now.  I will point out that this is not
} > for the faint of heart and unless you're an extremely capable sysadmin
} > you shouldn't be doing this on a production system.
}
} So it's basically "backup, install from scratch, restore" - sounds a lot
} more sane to me, indeed.

     Depends on your skill level.  I have over 15 years experience
doing sysadmin on production systems and understand operating systems.
I did an inplace upgrade and it was quite successful (not counting
having to immediately rebuild every package due to compat32 being
busted).  But if you're not a highly experienced sysadmin then yes,
install from scratch, is probably a better option.

}-- End of excerpt from Hubert Feyrer