Re: constraints on rbus_min_start?

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 02:05:58 +0000
"Steven M. Bellovin" <smb%cs.columbia.edu@localhost> wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 10:56:55 -0500
> "Jared D. McNeill" <jmcneill%invisible.ca@localhost> wrote:
>
> > Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> > > On a more pragmatic and more immediate note, what should I set it
> > > to > manually?  I have a 3G machine; I haven't yet found a setting
> > > that will > avoid messages like these in dmesg:
> > > cbb0: can't map socket base address 0xf8300000
> > > cbb0: can't map socket base address 0xffffffff804e8a0f: io mode
> > > cbb0: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 16 (irq 10)
> > > cardslot0 at cbb0 slot 0 flags 0
> >
> > http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-kern/2007/11/27/0021.html
> >
> The good news is that that let the slots be recognized and mapped.
> The bad news is that devices aren't working.  The worse news is that
> one of them -- my infamous EVDO card, about which more in another
> thread -- caused a panic...
>
> Diagnostic output I added says that the size of the rbus area
> was .75GB, starting at 3.25GB.  In other words, it overlaps the
> entire PCI hole. Is that right?

I changed my RBUS_MIN_OPTION to 3GB; that let the EVDO card be
recognized properly.  The compact flash card worked better -- it
recognized wdc2 and an atabus controller.  It did not recognize wd2,
not did it recognize anything when I removed the card.  I tried
inserting the EVDO card it the same slot; that wasn't noticed.
However, when I removed the EVDO card, it decided that the CF card had
been removed.

Since the differing behavior made me suspect problems with the
range 3.25-3.5GB, I added code for a new kernel option, RBUS_SIZE.
It doesn't seem to have helped with the CF card; given that EVDO was
helped by the change in RBUS_MIN_OPTION, I'm inclined to commit the
(attached) change, at least until someone who understands the amd64
architecture can write the correct code.

Comments?