wm(4) problems

Hi.

I have an Intel Gigabit Ethernet PCI card in a machine here. I believe the card is based on the i82540. The problem is that it goes down periodically for no apparent reason. After a while of the interface being down, I get a message which reads like "wm0: Device timeout" followed by some numbers. After the error message, the interface comes back up. I tried switching out the cable, but that didn't help. My system configuration is:

Biostar NF325-A7 nForce3-250 Motherboard
AMD Sempron 64 3000+
2 512MB DDR400 SDRAM
nVidia Quadro 580XGL
Intel EtherExpress 1000 of some sort
HP ProCurve 1800-8G gigabit ethernet switch

If you need any more information, I will be able to provide it sometime this evening when I will again have access to the machine. The machine is currently running NetBSD/i386 3.0, but I've been thinking about upgrading to amd64 4.0. Will that help?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Peace...  Sridhar