Port-alpha archive

Re: looking for a server

On 3 Apr 2008, at 9:49 PM, Miles Nordin wrote:
"pm" == Paul Mather <paul%gromit.dlib.vt.edu@localhost> writes:

   pm> if you wanted to tell the guy to get a Sparc-based system
   pm> instead, why not just come right out and say it

because, if you'll review the thread, it's more convoluted and
contrary than that.  He doesn't even care about burning CD's.

But apparently you ARE concerned about burning CDs?

 pm> Did port-alpha get out of the wrong side of the bed today?

Does it matter?  My bed and my mood is emphatically my own business,
and I don't come here for emotional support, smalltalk, or discussions
about the best way to brew coffee and when to drink it.  This is not
Sydney or Los Angeles, so I'm not required to appear happy.

Err... um... okay.

Anyway, what I was pointing out with the ^W's was that you should have
mentioned it was a SCSI burner.  I read your post as having this sort
of implied smirk which is I admit very fun for me and probably other
old listmembers---like, of course I would know it was a SCSI burner.

Just to let you know, but you misread my posting. (That's pretty easy to do in e-mail communication.) There was no "implied smirk" about it being a SCSI burner. However, I can see, in retrospect, that someone who uses devices like ^W in postings might think along those lines. For my point, I was just supplying a data (counter-)point to your statement that CD burning did not work fine. (BTW, did you notice that my original statement was in the past tense: hardly appropriate for offering current advice, don't you think?)

But its SCSIness wouldn't be obvious to someone who didn't already
know, as I do, that alpha IDE is ~broken.  Your audience includes the
original poster who probably doesn't realize it was a SCSI burner, and
that's why, given the audience, and the audience IS a given in this
case because he's right there at the top of the thread, it's deceptive
and, as advice/guidance, worse than nothing.  Hopefully everything's
clear now---sorry for any possible offense.

I was replying to your posting, not his. If I was addressing his query I would have quoted it or the part that I thought was relevant. I didn't offer any advice or guidance to him. That you thought I did is your problem and misconception, not mine.

I guess if CD burning (or IDE support) is important to the OP's server requirements then he will be better informed because of the pedantry in this thread.

So, do you think he should get a Sparc-based system instead? ;-)

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul%gromit.dlib.vt.edu@localhost

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa