"intermediate" target clarification

Hello all,

I’m looking at the targets listed here:

https://wiki.netbsd.org/pkgsrc/targets/

Specifically the top main section.

If I needed to manually patch/tweak something - could I:

- make patch
- * Manual changes/tweak *
- make install

Would the “make install” know that the previous steps targets were done ?  My concern/goal is to not clobber the patched source tree.

Or if there is a better way to do this please let me know.

My use case is a package that has issues on a certain port and the fixed version won’t likely be pulled into pkgsrc from upstream for some time.

Thanks.