Re: boost-libs on macOS Ventura (13.x)

Jonathan Perkin <jperkin%mnx.io@localhost> writes:

> * On 2023-05-23 at 15:20 BST, Tobias Nygren wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 22 May 2023 11:16:29 -0500
>>Jason Bacon <jtocino%gmx.com@localhost> wrote:

>>> I certainly could, but I suspect upstream will argue that
>>>
>>> clang++ -x c file.c
>>>
>>> is perfectly valid, and we'll have to keep the patch around
>>> indefinitely.  Even if they agree to change it, this may pop up in other
>>> packages, and someone will have to spend time solving this problem again.
>>
>>It is not that easy to patch since you have to hook into the boost-jam stuff.
>>
>>I could reproduce on latest Ventura (aarch64). The -std=c++14 comes
>>from meta-pkgs/boost/Makefile.common's USE_LANGUAGES.
>>The least intrusive quick-fix seems to be to undo this platform conditionally.
>
> Given this was only added to support NetBSD 8.0/i386, I'd rather see
> us add a hack for that platform to add to USE_LANGUAGES, then at least
> we're being explicit about what platform we are fixing (and can remove
> at a later date if necessary).

But is this a hack, or was it right?  Does boost document that it needs
C++14?  Does it fail if built with a compiler that supports C++11 and
not C++14?

I can see the point that on later systems the compiler supports C++14 by
default and thus a --std=c++14 is not needed, but that feels like a
workaround for not settting --std!