Re: boost-libs on macOS Ventura (13.x)

* On 2023-05-23 at 15:20 BST, Tobias Nygren wrote:

On Mon, 22 May 2023 11:16:29 -0500
Jason Bacon <jtocino%gmx.com@localhost> wrote:

> That sounds like a kludge.  The pkgsrc doctrine is that invoking a C++
> compiler for building a C file is a bug.  Can you fix the makefile(heh)
> to have it call CC instead of CXX?

I certainly could, but I suspect upstream will argue that

clang++ -x c file.c

is perfectly valid, and we'll have to keep the patch around
indefinitely.  Even if they agree to change it, this may pop up in other
packages, and someone will have to spend time solving this problem again.

It is not that easy to patch since you have to hook into the boost-jam stuff.

I could reproduce on latest Ventura (aarch64). The -std=c++14 comes
from meta-pkgs/boost/Makefile.common's USE_LANGUAGES.
The least intrusive quick-fix seems to be to undo this platform conditionally.

Given this was only added to support NetBSD 8.0/i386, I'd rather see us add a hack for that platform to add to USE_LANGUAGES, then at least we're being explicit about what platform we are fixing (and can remove at a later date if necessary).

--
Jonathan Perkin   -   mnx.io   -   pkgsrc.smartos.org
Open Source Complete Cloud   www.tritondatacenter.com