Re: Any hints for bootstrapping in Solaris 10?

On Mon,  2 Nov 2020 01:21:48 +0000 (UTC)
"Thomas Mueller" <mueller6725%twc.com@localhost> wrote:

> from Sad Clouds:
>
> > I uploaded my GCC build to google drive, it supports C, C++ and Ada.
>
> How were you able to build with Ada support?  I believe you need an
> Ada bootstrap.
>
> I would be building for amd64 or possibly i386, NetBSD, FreeBSD or
> Linux, not Solaris.
>
> Or does Solaris already have a compiler suite that includes Ada?
>
> Tom

Yes, there are two issues when building GCC:
1. You need bootstrap compiler.
2. Bootstrap compiler needs to be recent enough to build latest version
of GCC.

I got hold of SPARC Solaris GCC with Ada support years ago, and kept
building bootstrap compilers to keep up with the latest GCC releases.

If you're not using SPARC Solaris, then this is not relevant to you.
NetBSD x86 already has Ada compiler (lang/gnat-aux) in pkgsrc. Same goes
for FreeBSD and Linux.